December 10, 2006

Dear John

Dear John letter n. informal – a letter from a woman to a man, ending a personal relationship.

We are locked in this stalemate, two solitary kings on the battlefield, daring the other to move. Remember those roses? They still sit in that vase by the window. Their fragrance, so sweet and strong at first, has but disappeared. I'd imagine they're off with you, fucking with that girl in Paris, Milan, Tokyo, wherever.

I doubt you remember these roses. you wanted the crimson ones, read some shit in the magazines about red symbolizing love or some other sweet despair. i wanted white, pure and innocent like i'd never be. pink became our compromise, blushing under the sunlight next to the crystal windchimes.

I've played the script a thousand times, carrying imaginary conversations with you in my mind. i know all my lines by heart and i can recite every single word you'll say. You'd give me that wry smile of yours and ask me about the roses, i'd smile and ask why you've never come back.

farewell exits were never my style, so i end it here with these scentless petals, hand-picked one by one especially for you. count them, they equal to He Loves Me Not.

Stop and smell the roses sometime.

No comments: