August 9, 2008

La Chanteuse


I'm not her fan, but I have to credit her for being the one who got me into popular music. I liked this video though -- it's raw.

I actually idolized her when I was younger. After I learned about her, my fashion taste started to change. I wanted to wear black. I liked sporty, punk, grunge styles. In short, I wanted to dress like her. Her first CD, Let Go, was the first I ever bought by myself, for myself, and although I don't listen to it much anymore, each song has a meaning or a memory behind it. Doesn't that happen to you too? When songs remind you of someone or something?

Track 1, "Losing Grip," reminds me of Storm. I followed him blindly for years, even when I knew the effort would amount to nowhere. But that is a long story I'd rather bury.

Track 3, "Sk8er Boi," reminds of the first story I outlined. The heroine was a tough-as-nails girl named Avril with a crush on the older, smarter, handsome, athletic Wes. Purely living out a fantasy through fiction. In the end, the story was scrapped, but the basics were introduced when I began drafting EP.

Track 4, "I'm With You," reminds me of E. Some of my worst idiotic moments are tied to this person who I have not seen in many years.

Track 6, "Unwanted," reminds me of Iris. That was the song I had been listening to when I found out she died. For a long time, I couldn't listen to that song anymore. Iris' death struck me hard, not only because I was still very young, but because it was the first time I understood the permanent nature of death.

Track 8, "Anything but Ordinary," reminds me of CP. We wrote a silly song parody for this one summer. I have always felt guilty about how our friendship disappeared -- I threw the rock at her suggestion, shattering not only the glass sliding door but the closeness we had.

Track 12, "Too Much to Ask," reminds me of sixth grade. Sixth grade had to be one of the worst years in my life. I was thinking of death all the time -- not in the suicidal sense. I was always wondering who would miss me if I suddenly died. I wanted to be tough -- I glared, I frowned, I brooded.

Other songs have other meanings to me as well.

"Send the Pain Below" by Chevelle is Orpheus' song. I would board myself in my room when no one was at home and play this song on high volume, singing until the frustration I felt was off my chest.

"Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria reminds me of Junior Prom. When I sang in front of my friends at J's house for Rock Band, something changed. Before, I had always been ashamed of my singing.


"On the Other Side of the Crash" by Thursday is the song for the couple I based Rory and Rhys on -- the duo I dreamed about in "Murderess: a waltz in 3/4 time."

"Yellow" by Coldplay is Rose Mortmain's song. To me, this song will never belong to anybody else but her. Even as our paths divide, I will never be able to forget her as long as this song exists.

Sometimes I wonder if this happens with other people. I'll wonder, what kind of songs are associated to me?

----------------------
I thought I'd share something completely unrelated.

I showed Rogue pictures of Banana Man, and she insisted that Banana Man was not "nasty" -- he just wore shorts that were too short. So I sent her the link to another facebook picture of him. Out of respect for his privacy, I will not provide the link publicly, but to give you an idea, let us just say that he was sitting in a strange position that made his shorts look extremely short.

Sophelia: [insert link] seriously whats up with his shorts!!!
Rogue: if i didn't know any better, i'd tease you about how people insulting others means they like them, but i think you'd kill me
Sophelia: yeah i would
Rogue: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Rogue: OMFGGGGGG
Rogue: LMAO
Rogue: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Rogue: HAHAHAHAHA
Sophelia: wow you're having a blast
Rogue: THAT IS DISGUSTINGGGG
Rogue: HAHAHAHAHAHHA
Sophelia: EXACTLY
Rogue: OMGGGGG
Rogue: HAHAHAHA
Rogue: OMFGGGGGG
Sophelia: i can imagine you right now
Rogue: OMG THAT IS FCKING HILARIOUS
Rogue: HAHAHAHAHHA
Sophelia: its nastyyyyy
Rogue: HAHAHA
Rogue: OMGGG
Rogue: I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING

It's probably not as funny without the picture, so ask me for the link. and NO. I DO NOT HAVE A SONG FOR BANANA MAN.

2 comments:

Ari said...

hahahaha good stuff, dude
and i had no idea that you used to be an avril fan. i, on the other hand, never really liked her much...

- said...

haha i remember hearing some avril lavigne songs in Canada (i was visiting relatives) before they got really big in the U.S.

as for the song associated thing LOL i have this chinese song i listened to while in touring italy in a tour bus... and this rage against the machine song i listened to a lot while driving around mexico.

those songs have nothing to do with the particular place i was visiting but since i listened to them so many times it's formed this odd association LOL