February 14, 2009

Valentine

I've spent the last week writing a short story inspired by "Lady and the Tramp". The objective was to have it finished in time for today, but just in case I don't reach my goal by the end of the night, here's wishing you have a good day, for those of with you significant others out there. And for those of you who don't, no one loves you more than yourself. So treat yourself.

I used to have expectations for Valentine's Day when I was younger. An unsigned letter, a mysterious delivery of chocolate. But now, I expect nothing more than adding some pounds to my already bulky weight.

I fell asleep on the living room couch again last night. I don't know, there's something about that couch that's like a mouth to unconsciousness, because I hopped onto it with a blanket at 9:30 PM with the intent of taking a nap and slept like a rock until around 3 AM. I went on the computer for awhile, changed into pajamas, and then went back to sleep on the couch.

I don't take stock in dreams. The only thing predictable about the dreams I have is that if I dream it, it won't happen.

It was at lunchtime on a school day. The usual mob of people crowded around the area where I eat lunch were there -- I don't know what the occasion was, but everyone was making a big deal about being paired with somebody. For some reason, the group of friends I normally hang out with were absent. Instead, I was standing all alone by myself, not really caring about what was going on, until Tournesol called out my name. I walked over to Tournesol, who whispered that she knew who I wanted to be paired with. I replied, "Hell no, you fucking don't." Clearly, I was not in the best of moods. Unfazed, Tournesol pulled out a book and handed it to me, saying, "Look at Page 85 and 163." I did as she said. I found Your name underlined in pencil on both pages. When Tournesol asked me to confirm, I did not deny. Instead, I said, "Nothing ever happened, and nothing will ever happen." She, in turn, responded, "Only if you stand there and do nothing."

Sorry, Tournesol. I don't hope anymore.

No comments: