May 29, 2010

GMH & MMT

I was never particularly fond of fmylife.com. It's a little sadistic, taking pleasure out of someone's misery. I never jumped onto the My Life is Average (MLIA) bandwagon either. It was just that -- average.

Someone showed me GivesMeHope.com the other day. They call it FML for Optimists in the byline. I love it. Some of them are happy; others are bittersweet. Some of them are so fairytale-cute that they make me wonder if they're fictional, or if they actually happened in people's lives.

But I don't really care if they're real or not. I don't think it matters at all. There's so much crap and hatred in this world that I can still give kudos to someone who invents a short story that brightens my day.

-----------
// edit //
Thanks to Astrid, makesmethink.com is now my preferred method of procrastination. I agree with Astrid -- some of the ones on GMH are too sappy for my tastes. But I think I'm still a sucker for bittersweet tragedy. Here are some I picked out:

Today, I was looking through the Facebook remembrance groups of two people that died from my high school. The girl was sweet, smart, quiet and unpopular. She was killed by a drunk driver. The guy was inconsiderate, rude and popular. He was the drunk driver. His group has 602 members. Hers has 48. MMT

Today in downtown San Diego, I watched a blue collar Mexican man get harassed for being Mexican. It was a blatant act of discrimination. And the man actually began crying. As he left the office building, he took off his jacket. His t-shirt underneath read, "I love the USA!" MMT

Today, after I watched my dog get run over by a car, I sat on the side of the road holding him and crying. And just before he died, he licked the tears off my face. MMT

Today, after a 72 hour shift at the fire station, a woman ran up to me at the grocery store and gave me a hug. When I tensed up, she realized I didn’t recognize her. She let go with tears of joy in her eyes and the most sincere smile and said, “On 9-11-2001, you carried me out of the World Trade Center.” MMT

Today, at 3:40PM in my San Diego home, I put a gun to my head. Just as I pulled the trigger the ground began violently shaking from an earthquake. I lost my balance, the gun went off, but the bullet missed my body entirely. Tonight, I threw the gun in the ocean. MMT

Today, I wondered if the thousand unsaid "I love you’s" that I've kept to myself recently might actually be better than confessing out loud that I’m still in love with you. MMT

1 comment:

Astrid said...

http://makesmethink.com/top

I've always found GMH (and its amorous counterpart, LGMH - "Love Gives Me Hope") too saccharine for my taste. I like MMT a lot better.