February 1, 2011

Mind if I Slytherin?

I'm starting to think my issue wasn't the silver hair color -- it was the Colonel Quaritch/Chip Hazard hairstyle.

Because I just watched the music video for "Baby Good Night," and for all the flak I gave about the Badass One's hair since his promotion cycle with GD began, I must confess that I actually liked his hair this time. A lot.

You see, hair is a pretty weighty thing to consider. Hair is like the college application essay -- it's not going to determine by itself whether or not you're admitted to Sophelia's biased pantheon of good-looking people, but hair can easily tip the scale in your favor. You might be one of those people I see from afar, and I might think, "Wow, that guy has a good hairstyle." True, maybe then I get close and see your face and reconsider my interest in you, but hey -- at least you make people want to have a second look.

My mother actually once showed me a picture of her and my maternal grandparents from when she was probably a five-year-old. The first thing I noticed was, "Holy crap, I looked exactly like my mother when I was a toddler." But the second thing I noticed was the hairstyle that my grandfather, who passed away when I was a high school freshman, had at the time the photograph was taken. I liked it -- it was clean and unfussy, but stylish in its own way. It actually looked a lot like the hairstyle the Badass One has in the music video. There's a certain "age" to it that seems nostalgic of the past -- I'm thinking of the 1910s, like the hairstyles of Dimitri from Anastasia and Jack Dawson from Titanic.

As for the music video, I don't need to understand Korean to grasp the utter sensuality that is dripping through all 3:33 minutes of the video. The Badass One eating a strawberry (sexxxxx)? The snake crawling in the bed (sexxxx)? The spoken French (with a legit accent) at the very end (sexxxxx)? I'm actually not sure how to feel about it -- while I applaud them for not overtly sexualizing the video (they could have easily stuck either GD or T.O.P. in bed with the girl, to the wrath and dismay of millions of fans around the globe), but that snake in the bed was OVERKILL.

But you know what? That's okay, because I couldn't help but think when I was watching the video that the Badass One and I are somehow telepathically connected, and after all my stabs at how he resembled Draco Malfoy or a lovechild birthed from a torrid affair between Lucius Malfoy and Cruella DeVil, he said, "Psssh, I'll show you how to be a Malfoy." And voila -- in his next video, he has a silvery hairstyle that looks better than the ones Tom Felton had in all of the Harry Potter movies. PLUS he's got a badass snake wrapped around his shoulder as he's rapping!

sa-WOON.


1 comment:

graydyl said...

curious - what is she saying at the end?