August 16, 2011

Space Bound


"I'm a space bound rocket ship and your heart's the moon
And I'm aiming right at you"


The only reason I thought of you recently is not because I wonder what you are doing anymore. You no longer pepper my daily thoughts, adding the artificial spice to a mundane life. No, the only reason you slipped into my consciousness like ghostly curls of smoke is that I still don't really know the answer. All I know is that eventually, your presence eroded away from me.

I regarded her obsession with Twilight with patient tolerance and mild amusement. I held my tongue.
I used to be like her, you know. I believed that among the 7 billion people in this world, I was meant to find the one. When we had our debate that night, I couldn't help but feel I was arguing with my younger self.

"Nobody knows me I'm cold
Walk down this road all alone
It's no one's fault but my own
It's the path I've chosen to go
Frozen as snow I show no emotion whatsoever so"

I don't know when or why I became so cold. Perhaps my silence all those years chained to you had caused me to freeze.

"I burn in degrees Kelvin for you," I once wrote. Maybe I wasn't the star. I was the rocket ship, and your heart was the moon. My aim never wavered all those years, but it didn't matter. Once the flame sputtered out, I was trapped in the coldness of space. Somewhere between you and the girl I had once been.

-- "Space Bound" by Eminem

No comments: