September 6, 2013

Indulge Me One Moment

I know I've been ranting and raving about the books I've been reading for like the past ten blog posts, but since I have no one to share my post-awesome-book-syndrome, indulge me for one second.

I had put off checking out Days of Blood and Starlight for weeks now, even though I'd been dying to get my hands on that book ever since I finished reading its predecessor (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)--mainly as a motivation for me to get my ass moving on my secondary applications. Well, I finally made the trek all the way to the East library for the sole purpose of borrowing this book, and this evening, I essentially inhaled this book without even leaving my chair.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've loved a book series this much. You know, when you finish reading and you just want to go back and savor the whole thing again. It's as if Laini Taylor took all of my favorite ingredients and mixed everything together to create a beautiful sugar-spun confection that I can't help but devour in one sitting.

I don't know if the second book in this trilogy is better than the first. I think I might actually give the first book a slight edge. But Days of Blood and Starlight is still a very good "middle book," given how the second book of a trilogy usually winds up getting the short end of the stick. I think the writing was a little more awe-inspiring for me in the first book than in this one. But there were definitely some punches I was not expecting, and the craziness that happened at the end really made me stop and go, WHOA.

The last book is going to be released next April. Birthday present for myself, woot woot.

Also, I'm still thinking about print vs. digital books. I read DoSaB and DoBaS from physical copies that I had borrowed from the university library, but I wonder if I would have felt as attached if I read them on my Kindle or phone. Actually, for my own purposes, let's make a list of what I've been reading this summer:

Sophelia's 2013 Summer Reading List (in no particular order)
  1. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (e-book)
  2. Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones (e-book)
  3. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas (e-book)
  4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (print)
  5. Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (print)
  6. Adaptation by Malinda Lo (print)
  7. Bitter Melon by Cara Chow (print)
  8. There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories by Ludmilla Petrushevskaya, translated by April Summers (print)
  9. The After Girls by Leah Konen (e-book)
  10. Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys (print)
  11. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (print)
  12. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins (print)
  13. Sticks and Stones by Emily Bazelon (print)
  14. You Remind Me of You by Eireann Corrigan (print)
  15. Nobody But Us by Kristin Halbrook (print)
I think there are a couple more that I missed, but fifteen is a clean number. So we have four e-books and eleven print books. It's an unbalanced sample, but I do have to say that I still loved Jellicoe Road, even though I was reading it on my Kindle. I guess I generally prefer reading print if I can, but I've grown fond of Amazon's Kindle Daily Deals. 

No comments: