December 20, 2013

Do I Wanna Know?



'Cause there's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat
Until I fall asleep


Been wondering if your heart's still open and if so I wanna know what time it shuts

Do you want me crawling back to you?

-- "Do I Wanna Know?" by Arctic Monkeys


-----------------
Oh man. I still remember when the Arctic Monkeys came out with their first album. That was back when I would listen to the alternative rock radio station on the stereo while I did my homework during freshman year of high school. Seems like their latest album has become a major hit recently. I heard this song on Songza's "Today's Biggest Hits" playlist and was immediately hooked on the guitar riff. Then I happened to find this video, and holy hell. Seeing Alex Turner in this video was kinda like stumbling upon photos of an old friend or flame that you haven't set eyes on in years and realizing that they've Neville-Longbottomed (see: Matthew Lewis).

I read a blog post somewhere online, where someone stated that they were not a fan of his greaser hairstyle.  I beg to differ. I've always liked this type of retro hairstyle, and it lends a certain swagger that was absent during his mop-top phase. I don't know whether or not it works when Alex Turner is just walking around or grocery shopping like a civilian, but onstage, he rocks the quiff. 

I'll grant that not everyone can pull it off. I've tried mentally imposing this hairstyle on the guys I know, and good god do they look terribly pretentious in my head. But when you're the lead vocalist/guitarist/songwriter for an indie rock band, you can carry that loaded edge of masculine sensuality without seeming overbearingly smarmy. 

No comments: