January 19, 2014

RE: Eleanor and Park

http://angrygirlcomics.tumblr.com/post/72519376982/angry-girl-review-eleanor-and-park

I wasn't as outraged in my review of Eleanor and Park--rather, I think I took on a more disappointed approach when it came to how Rainbow Rowell handled Park's race issues in that book. But the review I've linked at the top of this post does an excellent close-reading of all the issues I had with how Rainbow Rowell tackled having an Asian-American male lead. The book has received so much effusive praise in the literary realm that I'd been wondering if I was some oddity who felt rather underwhelmed by it all. Apparently, I'm not. The book seems to strike a different chord for people who are well-aware of the history behind media portrayals of Asian men.

On another note, this is one of those moments where I wish I actually used my tumblr account, but all in all, tumblr doesn't quite suit my blogging style. Not to mention that this blog is over seven years old...

No comments: