March 22, 2014

Mint


"Mint is a perennial, sprouting up year after year, and the plant is hard to kill. Mint loves water, but it can survive a drought. Mint loves light, but it can survive the darkness. Mint prefers well-drained soil, but it can survive in clay. I once left a pot of mint unattended while I was on vacation; a month later, the terracotta planter held a brown plant cadaver. But then it rained. The next day, the carcass sprouted a leaf.
Mint is invasive. You must plant it within a container to control its domain. However, its stolons can still jump a pot and once in the open soil, it thrives and spreads with aggressive vigor and chokes the life out of other plants. Mint is unstoppable.
Mint transforms others within proximity. If you plant mint straight into the ground, you must keep it separate from other herbs. It will make its surrounding neighbors taste like mint, too.
Mint is the smell of the oil my yoga teacher rubs on my temples as I collapse in corpse pose at the end of class. Anointed, I lay breathing and emulating the dead, try to approach the brink of a dark sleep. I attempt to wipe my mind clean, but the mint invades all thoughts, keeps me awake. The mint smells like rape."

http://therumpus.net/2014/03/mint/

Trigger warning for rape. But this is one of the most artfully written essays I've read in a while. 

No comments: