February 9, 2010

Muette

I see you through the window
Only the back but I know --
it's you
Sitting there in your black leather jacket
Hair spiked into ebony shards

The closest I've ever come to finding Ren --
it's you

Two mutes sit side-by-side in a bus
Severed tongues
Neither can taste the
sweetness of stillborn words.

Tell me,
how do the eyes speak
when the tongue cannot?
Do you look at me in disgust?
awe?
fear?
When you look away,
is it because I repulse you?
Or because you don't want me
to catch your lingering stare?


The mute collect rumors
like beggars hoarding coins.

I've heard what they say
Got your heart strung round the neck of another
But I wear my black leather jacket
Ren's lock strung round my neck.

Don't look away
I want you to see
the one with the key's not you--
it's me.

No comments: