June 6, 2010

Pagan Poetry



I first listened to Bjork about two years ago. The only reason I looked her up was because I had been madly obsessed with OLIVIA at the time, and OLIVIA had cited Bjork as one of her biggest influences. People say that with Bjork, you either love her or hate her. I have to say I disagree though. I've tried listening to a good number of her albums, and I've definitely been unable to sit through quite a few of them. But on the other hand, the songs of her that I do like -- I think they're freaking amazing. My favorite album would be Vespertine. The whole album reminds me of winter.

"Pagan Poetry" was one of my favorite tracks on Vespertine. It's notorious for having a controversial music video -- you'll see what I mean if you watch the uncensored version yourself. I didn't realize until today though that the song is about a woman preparing herself for marriage and for her lover -- and suddenly, the lyrics make so much more sense. The song is deep -- much deeper, much darker, and much rawer than anything you hear on mainstream radio these days.

To me, Bjork is untouchable. I've listened to a couple of Bjork covers -- I like Death Cab for Cutie and I like Bjork's "All is Full of Love" but those two combined just don't cut it for me -- and I'm convinced that nobody can do a decent cover of a Bjork song.

The video I've posted is a "Pagan Poetry" cover by Further Seems Forever. I still say Bjork's version is still better by far, but this is the best Bjork cover I've ever heard. The instrumentals are cluttered, but this guy's voice is pretty good.

Okay, obligatory weekly/monthly/habitual music post is done. There's suddenly something else I want to blog about, but it has nothing to do with Bjork. Peace out.

No comments: