March 27, 2013

Sacrilege



Fallen for a guy,
Fell down from the sky
Halo round his head
Feathers in our bed
In our bed, in our bed

 
Obsessed with the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs song--the gospel choir, Nick's guitar riff, and of course the majestic Karen O. Watching them perform live has been on my bucket list for quite a while now...

I had quite an unusual dream last night. My dreams normally never wander into that territory, but I suppose given the frank conversations I've been having with some of my friends recently, my subconscious was bound to venture in deeper waters. A number of my friends have... shall we say, matured quite some these past few months. Naturally, nothing of the sort has happened to the boring-as-rock Sophelia, but that hardly means I am naive and squeamish about discussing this type of thing. In any case, a number of the discussions I have been having revolve around the idea of hook-up culture that is quite prevalent on American college campuses. Some of my friends encroach that culture, while others say they're not able to detach emotions from that sort of of physicality, so why jump in the fire in the first place?

In my dream, somehow my apartment had transformed into some sort of nightclub, except my bed and dresser were still there. A Hollywood actor that I have mildly been attracted to was there. I was sitting on my bed watching the partygoers dance around my room, when he approached the corner of the room where I sat. Flirtatious banter ensued, and soon the subtext of our conversation made it clear that a proposition was on the tip of the tongue. In the end, I stopped him before things traveled too far south.

I've been considered on oddity by some of my friends, in that I appear not to experience desire at all. Like everything else I do, however, I retain tight control on my outer appearances. My self-control has always been better than the average person, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to indulge myself from time to time. I am an extremely curious person by nature, and there are no secrets I can keep better than my own. As such, I do not see eye-to-eye with certain people. I empathize with the frustration, but not the method. The traditional romantic in my head would never allow me to indulge in a leap into the fire, even within my own subconscious.