August 8, 2013

Sophelia's First World Problems, Edition One

About a year ago, I was surfing around Youtube looking for more new music to suit my tastes, when I stumbled upon The Maine's "Into Your Arms." Yes, the lead singer was kind of cute (minus the emo haircut and the collarbone tattoo that I did not approve of), but the song got stuck in my head for weeks. It's no secret that my musical tastes tend to lean towards minor keys, but for some reason this happy upbeat song just wouldn't let go.

Then one day, while the song was still stuck in my head, I walked through the student center where people hang a bunch of flyers near the mailboxes, and I literally backtracked to take a closer look at one of the posters I had only glanced at before. Turns out The Maine was performing in Raleigh (~30 minutes away from Duke) along with two other bands, one of which was an old favorite of mine: Lydia. The show was happening the Friday after my last final exam, and tickets were only ten dollars.

Ten dollars to see The Maine AND Lydia?? I was so excited, until two truths knocked me back down to cold cruel reality:

Truth #1: I had no car.
Truth #2: Even if I found transportation, I had no friends who listened to this kind of music.

In the end, I didn't go. I don't even remember what I ended up doing that Friday night. I consoled myself into thinking something along the lines of, Well, I didn't really like The Maine's other songs, so I guess it's okay that I'm not going. And I hadn't listened to any of Lydia's new songs since their hiatus, so maybe they won't even play the songs I actually know.

Now, about three weeks ago, I was browsing on Facebook when I got a notification that Silversun Pickups was playing a free show in Raleigh on a Friday night.

WAIT HOLD UP. IT'S FREE? AND IT'S AFTER I GET OFF WORK?

I discreetly clicked "maybe" for attendance on the Facebook page and began scheming about how I could convince E to accompany me and drive us downtown. Unfortunately, two developments knocked me back down to cold cruel reality again:

Truth #1: E suddenly got a job offer in Washington DC and left the day of the concert.
Truth #2: I still had no car and no musically-similar friends.

 I was still pretty bummed this time, but I managed to get over it pretty quick. I thought, Ah well, to be honest I haven't loved their new album as madly as Carnavas, so maybe it's okay if I skip out on this.

Finally, just now I was on Facebook when I clicked on someone's post about North Carolina's biggest music festival, Hopscotch. The first few performers on their list, I didn't really know or feel passionately about. Until I saw Low on the fourth line of the poster.

HEY, IT'S LOW! I WAS OBSESSED WITH "LULLABY" JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO! THEIR LIVE PERFORMANCES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AWESOME!

But the eternal truths remain:

Truth #1: I have no car.
Truth #2: I have no friends.

I'm not a diehard Low fan, so I'm not too sad. But if this happens again if/when the Yeah Yeah Yeahs come to town, Sophelia is going to be a miserable chump.

No comments: