February 13, 2014

On Ships IRL


Sometimes, I've wondered about what will happen if my blog suddenly becomes public knowledge, and all the people I've ever discussed on here over the last seven years will recognize themselves and come after me with pitchforks. But I guess we'll see if that ever happens lol.

It's been snowing majorly in North Carolina these past two days. Actually, this winter has pretty much been ridiculously cold and snowy here. Elsa really 'let it go' this winter, har har har. Lots of snow pictures in my Facebook feed. One of which was this couple I'll just refer to as Battery. (The reasoning behind this name is a dead giveaway to their identities--then again, the story I'm about to divulge will make it way too easy to guess. ANYWAYS.) I'm Facebook friends with both but don't know either of them particularly well. The girl (Plus) is dancer I worked with for the Lunar New Year fashion show a couple years ago, while the guy (Minus) was my neighbor last year. The two are some of the best dancers in this one dance group on campus. Last spring, they started dating and the dance community erupted into a choir of awwwws. Not gonna deny it, it was cute even for an outsider like me. In April, I'd walk around campus and see flyers for their group's dance showcase, and a third of the flyers would have Battery posed in a couple's dance.Which was a little strange for me, because for most of the year I'd been shipping Minus with my friend Cinereus.

This year, my roommate and I had a conversation over dinner one day about the Ron/Hermione bomb that J.K. Rowling dropped, and we started talking about shipping fandoms. I can think of lots of pairings I ship rabidly, fictional (e.g. Anne Shirley/Gilbert Blythe) or otherwise (am I the only one who has some bizarro interest in seeing Drake and Rihanna get back together?). But then we came to the question of whether or not we'd shipped any of our real-life friends or acquaintances. Were there any friends you'd been totally rooting to finally get together, that you'd been keeping up with crazily like a soap opera addict? That's when I remembered Minus and Cinereus, which I'd forgotten I'd dumped far into the back of my brain.

Nothing ever came out of Cinereus and Minus, but I still remember that one glorious moment for this short-lived ship. Cinereus became really sick, so she stayed at home one Saturday while I went out shopping with friends. We were about to eat dinner at a restaurant when we received a text from Cinereus asking us if we could do her a favor and buy Gatorade and some chicken soup from an on-campus eatery. We were at a sit-down restaurant and knew that dinner would take a while, so we hatched a nefarious plan. R called up Minus, who constantly works out at the gym, and explained how Cinereus was sick and asked him to bring back Gatorade for her when he returned to the apartment. Minus agreed and asked what flavor he should bring back. So I texted Cinereus and said we'd be back in a bit and casually asked what flavor she wanted us to buy. Then the rest of us purposely dawdled so we wouldn't be back home before Minus made his appearance.

When we finally made it back, Cinereus made no mention of any appearance by Minus, so I started wondering if we'd majorly screwed up somehow. Finally, I went into the refrigerator and saw two bottles of Powerade. Confronting Cinereus directly about the situation, I asked her if someone had made a "special delivery." This triggered a major response from Cinereus as she began to rant about how could we invite HIM over while she looked like crap. She said she'd been lying feverishly in bed when there was sudden knocking on the door. Thinking I'd forgotten the keys and couldn't get in, she got out of bed and opened the door to find Minus standing at the door. He asked her if she was feeling okay, and then handed her multiple bottles of Powerade and orange juice (which we didn't even ask him to get), telling her, "I didn't know if you liked pulp or no pulp, so I got you both."

GOD. Even as I'm typing that last sentence, I'm still smiling like an idiot at that line.

Of course, that was the pinnacle moment of that little ship. It fell apart pretty quickly afterwards, but there were lots of priceless moments in this tentative pairing in which I greatly enjoyed meddling. Heh heh, yes--I'm that friend. So when Battery happened, I couldn't quite drum up any enthusiasm because damn it, I was still sore about my sunken ship! But today, Plus posted a photo of the two of them with a "snow puppy" they made named Bonaparte. Maybe it's the puppy or the French name, but okayyyyy I finally concede that Battery is kinda adorable.

In other news, OLIVIA just posted that her baby was born today! Atlas Natan Vallis. I am dying of curiosity about Olivia's husband, but I LOVE her baby's name. It totally fits her unique vibe, but not weird enough to be a target of celebrity-baby jokes. Is it weird that I'm oddly happy for someone that I've never met?

No comments: