February 27, 2014

Random Pop Thought of the Day

Does the Katy Perry machine purposely piss different cultures off in order to get media attention for her songs? You'd think after all the commotion about her geisha act for "Unconditionally" (a song I really can't stand, by the way), she'd lay low on the culturally-influenced themes for a while and stick to fluffy candy and sugar themes. I just read an article on the BBC about the Allah pendant in the "Dark Horse" video was edited out in a new version on Youtube. I'm guessing nobody in her entourage thought that having a suitor wearing the Allah pendant disintegrate to sand at Katy Perry's touch would maybe offend Muslims? Or maybe they did and thought it'd be good publicity? idk. I read in some TIME article that the Egyptian stuff is supposedly accurate, but since I don't really have any desire to watch the video and I'm not an expert in Egypt, I wouldn't know.

I didn't have any negative feelings about Katy Perry back in her Teenage Dream era. I actually thought some of the songs were pretty catchy. I hated "California Gurls" because I am the farthest thing from "daisy dukes, bikinis on top" as you can get, but everything else I could listen to without immediately changing the radio station. But Prism and all the other drama following Katy Perry this era has pretty much made her the pop star I absolutely can't stand. I was very blah about "Roar" and very ughhhhh about "Unconditionally," but chalk it up to personal taste---I had nothing against her. Then the geisha thing happened, and while I wasn't terribly outraged (more like an internal groan), then she had her GQ interview. All I'm gonna post is this excerpt, because it speaks for itself:
"I was thinking about unconditional love, and I was thinking: Geishas are basically, like, the masters of loving unconditionally." She’s so earnest, I don’t have the heart to point out that in the gamut of human interactions, the courtesan-patron relationship is, um, maybe the most conditional relationship there is?
And with all the other things she's said about John Mayer and feminism and whatnot, I feel like the more I know about her outside of music, the more I start to dislike the Katy Perry public persona. (Gotta make the distinction that I don't know her as a person--only as a public brand.) And all the people who come to her defense with arguments like, "Lighten up! Why do you people always find something to be offended about?" are even worse. They make my blood boil than anything Katy Perry says or does out of ignorance.

No comments: