April 10, 2014

Twice


Was it the blue night
Gone fragile
Was it about the men
In wonder steady gone under
Was it the light ways
So frightening
Was it a two wills
One mirror holding us dearer now
-- "Twice" by Little Dragon

Two hours after I'd risen, a vague feeling tugged at me, like when a sliver of lyrics splinters into your brain and, for the love of god, you can't remember a thing about the song it belongs to. I remembered nothing about what I had dreamed in the night--only that these melancholy bones respond to you like how the aching of arthritic joints portends rain. I could peer into the ocean depths and see nothing in that canvas of rippling darkness, but a sonar device would tell me what I already knew. Miles and miles below the water's surface, you lurk in the crevasses of my brain, a grotesque nightmarish thing that will never see the light of day. I do not need to see you to know you are still here.

No comments: