January 1, 2015

2014

I sort of feel obligated to write something, as a final hurrah post of 2014. I wrote a Top Fives recap last year for 2013, but I'm honestly too lazy to sit down and do one of those.

I will say.... looking back, this year felt ridiculously long.

More than once, I've caught myself about to say that I worked or went to Europe last year, when it really all happened less than 12 months ago. During my gap year of work (June 2013 - July 2014), time really sped by; but ever since I started med school, it feels like my life has slowed to a crawl. I've only been in school for five months, when it feels like at least a year.

When I really think about it, a lot has happened this year.

In January, I watched the musical Once for the first time.

In February, E, CC, and I played the Flowers in the Attic movie drinking game via the FYA rules. "NO, CHRISTOPHER. STOP IT, CHRISTOPHER. STEP AWAY FROM YOUR SISTER, CHRISTOPHER."

In March, at my mother's behest, I dreadingly wrote a really long Facebook post analyzing the Sunflower Movement in Taiwan, which ironically became something a lot of my new classmates commented to me about after we'd become Facebook friends.

In April, I had my golden birthday at the age of 23. I also watched BAP perform live, devoured Dreams of Gods and Monsters, and finished comment-watching that Korean Alien drama with Y (that is a noteworthy achievement, btw).

In May, I finally visited France--as well as Amsterdam, Brussels, and Monaco--and it was glorious.

In June, I roadtripped with my mother from North Carolina to New Orleans with all my belongings.

In July, S and I went beach-hopping down the northern California coast along Highway 1.

In August, I started medical school.

In September, my grandmother passed away.

In October, I experienced Halloween on Frenchman, disguised in my blonde wig.

In November, I went to my first small-venue concert ever and saw FKA Twigs perform live.

In December, I came to a decision that I will not publicly verbalize, and it probably isn't what you're thinking of, but I will say that it was something very monumental to me, and I imagine it will be something that will define 2014 for me down the line.

And somewhere scattered along those twelve months... I wrote all of Act II of EP. A shitty first draft, but nevertheless around 35,000 words. Guys, I am 2/3 of the way done with this shitty first draft. I am very aware of how much work is left ahead of me, even after I finish this draft. But considering how I first dreamed up EP eight years ago, when I was a sophomore in high school on the brink of turning 16, and how my resolution every new year since was to finally finish it.... I've never come this close before.

All in all, 2014 treated me well. 2015 will be my zodiac year, which according to Chinese tradition will not be a lucky year for me, but who knows what will happen? Come at me, 2015.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my zodiac year turned out pretty well for me! Lots of good things happened, so don't mind those silly superstitions at all. Also very curious what your december decision was!! - Y

Sophelia said...

Ah, I'm not normally superstitious but unfortunately I remember my last Zodiac Year at age 12, and it was not a pleasant year lol.