January 2, 2009

Interview

INT. ROSECRANS HIGH SCHOOL, VACANT CLASSROOM - DAY

Lights flicker on, revealing two students sitting face-to-face at a table. Lighting is dim, illuminating only the two figures in the room, ALEXIS and ISABELLE. ALEXIS hovers her hand over the tape recorder.

ALEXIS
This interview will be recorded. Do you have any objections?

ISABELLE
None.

ALEXIS presses the button down with a CLICK and the tape begins to roll.

ALEXIS
January 1st. Interview with Isabelle Hart for the Rosecrans Reporter, reporting done by Alexis Kelly. So Isabelle, it is no exaggeration to say that the entire population at Rosecrans High School is aware of your rising career as a model. How did you first get your big break into this business?

ISABELLE
(impatiently)
Why are you asking, Lexi? It's not as if you don't already know the story.

ALEXIS
(coldly)
Don't call me Lexi, Isabelle. We are strangers now.

ISABELLE
Fine.
(leans back and crosses her legs)
I got my first deal when I was a freshman. My neighbor, who owns a clothing boutique in downtown Eden, offered me a part in her television commercial, and I accepted. And after the commercial began airing, I started receiving calls from agencies in the entertainment business. One thing led to another, and that's how I got this far.

ALEXIS
Ah, of course. No mention of how you seduced your way out of this valley and into the international arena.

ISABELLE
(sits up in rage)
What the fuck are you talking about?

ALEXIS
Oh, stop pretending that people don't already know. Let's just say you performed some favors for the right people, and they paved you a yellow-brick road to the wizards who could bring you fame.

ISABELLE
How dare you-

ALEXIS
So tell me, how was it? What's it like to fuck with money? How did it feel, Izzy, when you fucked the guy who used to bully the shit out of us? That spoiled jerk who flaunts his wealth like a peacock? Did he make you scream, cry out like the way he used to when we were young?

Speechless, ISABELLE glares, fuming. ALEXIS laughs dryly at her silence.

ALEXIS (cont'd)
Really, I'm curious. What did he do? Cuddle, whisper sweet nothings in your ear after the deed was done? Or immediately hop out of bed and offer you your contract with the biggest modeling agency in Eden?

ISABELLE
Fuck you.

ALEXIS
He fucked you, not me. Did you even love him?

ISABELLE
You could have picked any of your staff writers to do this job. Why are you the one interviewing me?

ALEXIS
Oh, trust me. I wasn't skipping like Dorothy into this room. But we have unfinished business to settle, don't we?

ISABELLE
I was told I would be interviewed. Not interrogated by a nosy former friend!

ALEXIS
"Nosy former friend"? Is that what I am now?

ISABELLE
Shut up, Alexis. The sooner we get this over with, the better.

ALEXIS
Alright. As you request, Miss Hart.


ALEXIS pauses thoughtfully for a moment, as if in deep thought. Both girls avoid making eye contact.

ALEXIS (cont'd)
You were the subject of much speculation last week when you were absent from school for more than a week last month. Care to shed light on the events of that week?

ISABELLE bites her lip nervously before speaking. ALEXIS notices her behavior.

ISABELLE
There was a photo shoot in New York for a fashion magazine. The director of the shoot asked for me to arrive as soon as possible. I requested a week's leave with the school administration.

ALEXIS
Don't lie to me. You've always sucked at telling lies. You weren't in New York. Those girls you call your friends would have known, and they had no idea where you were.

For what seems like hours, neither girl speaks. ALEXIS appears to be in deep thought before she suddenly speaks.

ALEXIS (cont'd)
(quietly)
You're pregnant.

ISABELLE
(in a mixture of confusion and shock)
What?

ALEXIS
No, not the one you're thinking. Again.

ISABELLE
(suspiciously but with a hint of panic)
What are you talking about?

ALEXIS
(leans back and sighs)
Now I get it. There was something you had to take care of that week, wasn't there? Something that would ruin your career if you let it stay. But that's not what I'm talking about. You were out partying again last night, weren't you?

ISABELLE
How do you-

ALEXIS
Izzy, Izzy Izzy. Despite all those years since the last time we talked, I didn't think you would forget about my gift so quickly.
(pauses)
I had a dream last night. There was a little girl crying out to me. She kept tugging at my shirt, asking to be picked up. And when I did, she cried, saying how her mommy is going to have another kid again, asking why she wasn't good enough for Mommy. And you know what? That girl looked exactly like you did the day we first met.

ISABELLE
Those.. those are just dreams. They don't mean anything!

ALEXIS
No. Perhaps not.

The tape recorder ends with a CLICK.

FADE TO BLACK

No comments: