March 9, 2009

Motorcade of "Meant to Be's"

"That's when it turned on me
A motorcade of 'meant to be's'
Parades of beauty queens
Where soft entwines make kindling
These many detailed things
Like broken nails and plastic rings
Will win by keeping me
From speaking to my new darling
And there's no way to know
Our future foe scenarios
That's when it turned on me
Where bobby pins hold angel wings"
-- "Future Foe Scenarios"
by Silversun Pickups
---------------------------------------------
I never know what to think when somebody around my age passes away.

It's days like this when I wonder.
I wonder what you would have looked like at this age.
Would you still have kept your hair short
or would you have grown it out?
Would you have been a
punk
ballerina
athlete
nerd
all of the above?

Would we greet each other in the hallway
or avert our eyes --
because it's easier to pretend we are
strangers than to admit that
we're not children anymore?

I wonder if we would have still tormented each other
like sisters
Two girls with dark cropped hair
In a year we'd be
Laughing at your junior prom photograph
Mocking my slow death in college

I wonder how many people still think of you
Because it's days like this that I remember.

No comments: