January 20, 2011

The Art of Courtship



Today was my first day of lab for Bio 102L. Most of the time was spent in the university's greenhouses, which felt stupendously Hogwarts-ish to me. A small chunk of time was spent preparing our Generation 1 fruit flies for sex so we can study their great grandchildren within a few weeks.

And when I say I was preparing them for sex, I mean combining the sex-segregated tubes of flies together so that the males can actually get to the females. Ha-ha.

Later, my lab TA decided to show us the above video to demonstrate the flies' courtship song. All I have to say is that this video made me VERY GLAD that I am a member of a species that regards the act of courtship much more artfully than say, these Drosophila -- that was pretty much the equivalent of a guy stalking behind you while hooting catcalls and then suddenly leaping onto you in an attempt to sow his seeds in your fertile ground.

Yeah, I am not complaining the next time I go to a club.

No comments: