December 29, 2008

Correspondence

You,

I told myself to stop writing to You because I need to convince myself that I don't care. But I'll share something anyway.

I used to think I was trapped. Stuck in a future all neatly shaped by society's cookie cutter. Because really, all the laws and rules and morals we create mean nothing. We have problems with the economy because we created the concept of currency in the first place. We find ourselves in conflict with what is true justice because we make all these rules in the first place. Society creates all the rules, and if you don't follow them, bye bye.

Some hated studying existentialism. I loved it. Everything I had already thought of was neatly explained by Sartre and Camus. But existentialism taught me one more thing. I own my fate. Ultimately, I decide if I want to live my cookie-cutter life. I could just as easily drop out of college, volunteer for two years in Africa, then travel around the world as a free-lance writer. It all depends if I want to be responsible for what happens (such as being disowned by my parents).

So why give a fuck about the ass-kissers? With the attitude he has, he'd probably piss off more people than he can suck up to. I could care less where he is the next four years because whatever college he attends guarantees nothing. For all I know, he could decide to major in women studies and spend the rest of his life teaching women studies. Nothing wrong with women studies, but not exactly a glamorous career, is it?

Hell, just play the game. Go to school, get a job, make some money, then do what You want. Buy a ship and become a pirate. Hell, be Bruce Wayne and buy a Batmobile and all those fancy gadgets. You have to know the rules before You can break them.

Chances are You won't ever read this, which is why I bothered to write in the first place. And if You do, congratulations. Now You know what's been going on the last two years, and unfortunately, I am tired of doing this.

Cheers,
Sophelia

No comments: