July 2, 2009

Snapshot 1 - Airplanes

I still have not made up my mind if I will attempt to blog every day like I attempted last year at Stanford. I doubt I will run into any Banana Men again, but weirdos exist in all parts of the world. I will instead title these posts "Snapshot #" if anything interesting occurs.

I abhor plane rides. Gov. J, who accompanied me to the airport yesterday, confided that her goal in life is to be able to afford first class seats on all future airplane rides. Although I doubt my desire for comfort will ever trump my frugal instincts, I do wish I could actually sleep lying down rather than upright like a log, afraid of leaning onto either the old man to my left or the stuffy woman on my right. I ended up pulling my tray down and sticking a pillow onto the tray. It looks like sleeping on my desk in AP Stats actually trained me for something useful.

A tall, Latino man sat by the window in the row ahead of mine. With a sidelong glance, I could see that he was reading a yellow notepad, upon which someone had written some sort of letter or confession. I know that morally, it was inappropriate to pry, but I was too curious not to read over his shoulder. It appeared to be a girl's handwriting -- not because it was loopy and flowery, but because of the story it told. The girl described herself as a Cinderella, who suffered from her stepmother's emotional abuse and her father's disconnect from her life. I ended up not reading much -- my eyesight is good, but not to the point where I can read every word on a notepad a good yard away. But it's interesting to think about how I can be so interested in a stranger's story, even when I have no idea what the person looks like or where he/she is from.

Maybe some people think it's strange to follow a person's personal blog when you don't even know the person. Personally, I can see the appeal. I like drama and conflict -- as long as I'm detached from the storm.

Speaking of storms, HOLY MOTHER WHY IS IT SO HUMID HERE??

1 comment:

y said...

lololol doood, my ap scores came in! Absolutely hilarious! With ironic twist