July 24, 2009

Snapshot 7 - Emo

I'm back in the city. My teaching days are over, and I miss them terribly.

Yesterday was the last day of class. My groupmates joke about how all the kids love me. I'm not so sure about that, but I can say that I probably received the most cards and gifts out of the remaining five of us teachers. (Apple had to leave the island, due to a very serious injury that I may perhaps explain another day.) Two of my students, Eva and Angel, bought me the cutest teddy bears as a farewell gift. The funny thing is, the teddy bears actually remind me of them -- Angel's is cute and refined while Eva's is rougher and more wild-looking. A bunch of others wrote me cards -- I even received cards from students that weren't even in my class.

Just a note -- all the things I received were from girls. I suppose I get along really well with the girls. Pear is probably the guys' favorite -- and everyone likes to make fun of Banana, which is probably my fault, since I purposely make fun of him during class. It keeps the kids laughing and it keeps the two of us in good spirits.
Fortunately, he has a good sense of humor and takes all the abuse in stride.

This coming week, I'll be on a tour with some of the other 300 people in this program. I'll at least still be able to hang out with my kickass groupmates, and I'm excited about being able to catch up with my ex-roommates.

But I miss the kids so much. I miss how they'd always cling to my arm, how they'd hold my hand when we walked around the school, how they'd laugh whenever Banana and I made fun of each other during class, how they'd sit around my laptop amazed by my Minesweeper skills, how they chased after me during P.E. and were wowed by how fast I ran, how they would touch my earrings everyday in admiration. It makes me so sad to think about the very probable fact that I may never see them again.

No comments: