July 3, 2009

Snapshot 2 - Beauty

I took studio pictures today. I wore three outfits -- a yellow gown, a red mini-dress, and a Gothic Lolita blouse and skirt; and afterwards, my relatives took me around the city. Here are the lessons of the day:
  1. I prefer dark make-up. While the girl was putting on my make-up, I was so tempted to just grab the eyeliner and black eyeshadow and give myself raccoon eyes.
  2. I look REALLY strange with long hair. I refused to let the make-up/hair stylist add any of extra hair to my very short hair for the first dress, but as I was changing for the second dress, the seamstress girl convinced me to try it out. The interesting thing is, my aunt -- who says I look completely different now because of my short hair -- says I looked much more familiar to her when I had long hair. But as for me, I couldn't even recognize myself in the mirror. I was actually considering growing my hair out a few months ago -- but today's experience has effectively convinced me that I will continue chopping my hair every month until further notice.
  3. Posture is an art. The photographer was a kickass chick who really knows how to get somebody to smile a real smile. Plus, when she demonstrated the poses she wanted, I could't help but think she could have been a supermodel. Now, every time I lean against something or sit, I am ridiculously self-conscious. Do I tilt my shoulders this way, or do I jut my chin out this way so I don't look like I have a double chin? You see, this is the kind of useful thing they should teach you in school that everyone needs to know.
  4. Working in a studio would be awesome. Dressing someone up; fixing up their make-up and hair; picking out accessories from a massive sparkling shelf of tiaras, hats, and jewelry; designing the photo backdrops and settings; taking fashion photography; photoshopping and editing the pictures -- Rogue, this sounds like your type of job.
  5. There is much eyecandy to be seen here. Instead of Guitar Hero, a similar game that's popular here is one that uses a drum set instead. Unlike the Rock Band/Guitar Hero IV drum set, this one is pretty much a real drum set -- and so when someone is playing it in the arcade, you actually hear the cymbals and drums. I didn't get to play and make a fool out of myself -- because there were a group of guys crowded around the game challenging each other at the expert level. Yeah, I didn't really see their faces because they were all facing the screen, but their clothing tastes were impeccble, their hair was styled punkish but not emo, and they were tall. There needs to be some sort of diffusion so that more of these kind of people end up where I live... or actually, at Duke.
And now I will attempt to sleep. Key word: attempt. I would be waking up in California right about now.

1 comment:

Ari said...

i would loveee to work at a studio :) i can't wait to see your pictures!