April 9, 2008

An Anagram for "Romp"


Oh Spring, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.

1) I hate how AP testing is right around the corner, and I don't know shit in biology.

2) I hate how I failed to pass the final round of Panel for the second time in a row.

3) I hate how I actually feel like writing EP again, but I have yet to finish The Great Gatsby homework. I also hate Tom and Daisy, and I feel sorry for Gatsby, but that's a different story.

4) I hate how I feel pressured to do something great and productive this summer before senior year, which means filling out a bunch of applications and waiting to see if I'm worthy enough to get into their summer programs.

5) I hate how I will be seventeen in exactly two weeks.

6) I hate how because I have been playing so little tennis recently, I am playing like shit.

7) I hate how I just found out I got rejected from another thing. God, this is not a good week.

8) And mostly, I hate this frantic prom season.

So today, two of my closest friends were asked to the prom, and in both instances, I happened to be sitting/standing right next to them. It was actually pretty thrilling being the person watching, as opposed to, you know, being one of the two involved. A got me all pumped up in anticipation for J's potential suitor, and thus I was high on adrenaline and whooping my head off. (Did I mention I love the feeling of adrenaline? When I really start getting competitive, it's so much fun mouthing off barbaric yawps. Anyways.)

What I hate is all this gossip. I cannot stand all this secrecy; it drives me nuts. I have mental images of these guys checking names off of lists one-by-one like a demented Agatha Christie novel. (... and then there were none! ...Okay, that was lame, even for me.) Obviously, it's not a flattering thought. As A noted, it's as if we are a herd of cows, waiting in line for our turn to the slaughterhouse. (Okay, I added that last part. But still.)

Furthermore, my future looks grim. The two most probable possibilities are:
1. I will be the only girl without a date amongst my group of friends, or
2. I succumb to peer pressure (and the dumb tradition that people go in pairs) and end up sticking around the entire evening with someone I would feel awkward with. And considering I don't talk to very many people, that would consist of nearly every single person left.

So, basically, I will either be a happy loner or an unhappy conformist.

Yes, it's an either/or fallacy. But I think the chances of the third alternative happening are anorexically slim.

And frankly, if it comes down to _________, I think I will go alone in combat boots and set a bonfire in the middle of the dance floor. Then I will pull out my guitar and sing obscene songs until the chaperones throw me out. Now, that's a night to remember.

1 comment:

Monsieur Yin said...

well, you can't just sit around and wait for the third alternative to come around, you probably should make it happen before it's too late.