April 10, 2008

Coloratura


No matter how long or loud I sing
The hurt won't escape past my lips.

----------------------------------
"In the seventeenth chapter of “The Voyage of the Beagle,” Charles Darwin turned to the mating habits of the giant Galápagos tortoise. 'When the male and female are together, the male utters a hoarse roar or bellowing, which, it is said, can be heard at the distance of more than 100 yards,' he wrote. This is also the most accurate description that we possess of the duet performed by Mick Jagger and Christina Aguilera in 'Shine a Light,' Martin Scorsese’s documentary on the Rolling Stones."

- Anthony Lane, "Not Fade Away", The New Yorker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stare at my emoness
Hair blow-dried in one direction
Still can't figure out
Which gender the singer is

And I am not a masochist-I was eating cake when I wrote that.