April 25, 2008

Uncaged


I was once the pulsing bird trapped in your ribcage
Carrying a song in your burning chest
I heard your voice, your laugh, your cry
Slice through skin like a shaft from Eros
I could listen, but I could not see.

My cage is exquisite, an architectural wonder
It resembles you so -- except smarter, taller, kinder
Like an airbrushed demigod lurking in a dream
My desire carries the oxygen to your veins
And I alone keep this illusion alive.

Nobody remembers the heart, the poor thing.
Hidden, forgotten, taken for granted
I am trapped within my own creation:
A flawless phantom of the falconer who
Caught songbirds for pleasure of hunt.

Only when I heard her sickeningly fawning purr.
Coaxing the lust in your throat to bloom
Did I finally see who you really are --

Cause of Death: Cardiac Arrest
And the songbird rises free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the subtle allusion to adam and eve, nice!