August 9, 2009

Tickle me Emo

I've been associated with many adjectives over the course of my brief 18-year-old life. Quiet, shy, weird, funny, witty, tan, pretty, ugly, insane -- and most recently -- badass. But the one that's most closely associated with my blogs -- be it Xanga or blogspot -- is the dreaded three-letter word.

Yes. The one that evokes images of bleeding hearts, black roses, black eyeliner, tight skinny jeans, and lyrical whining with guitar accompaniment. The one that, ironically, is a mere letter away from sharing the same name as a certain beloved furry red resident of Sesame Street.

And to be fair, it would be only too easy to pigeonhole me as "emo." For goodness sake, the freaking title of this blog is "Heart & Crossbones." How much more proof do you need, other than the perpetually black background of this blog?

What I find interesting is the negative connotation that "emo" has. When people call me emo, it usually has that Malfoy-esque intonation. "You're so emo." Translation: "You're so 2005." (For the record, the last two times this has happened has been by the same person -- a certain "elder brother" of mine who has never hesitated to make fun of me and whom I never hesitate to bully either -- so let's just call it even.)

But do I consider myself emo? That depends on your definition. Do I wear black eyeliner everywhere? (No.) Do my bangs cover three-fifths of my face? (No.) Do I wear jeans that cling onto my legs like tights? (Hell no.) But I am drawn to tragedy; I am drawn to the idea of figuratively less-than-functioning hearts, whether bleeding or broken; and I love the sound of the guitar. So what's the answer?

Physically, I don't look ANYTHING like your typical emo kid who takes pictures of herself at a camera angle that allows one's head to cover approximately 80 percent of the picture. I'm actually a little curious as to what kind of image my blog conjurs in the minds of those who stumble upon my blog and have no clue as to what I look like. Granted, I do have my melodramatic moments. But really, would an emo kid write a post about how people call her emo? Would an emo kid really spend more than two hours writing a post that completely bludgeoned Snow White and the Seven Dwarves? (To be honest, I don't think anyone sane would do so either.)

This post is vaguely starting to remind of me the time when I defended my nerdiness. So let's just embrace it.

I AM AN EMO NERD!!!!! :D

Or maybe not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok that's fine, i just made even more new emo backgrounds for my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Anonymous said...

Hey your website is rocks
Take a look at this crazy emo video clip:
http://tinyurl.com/a5sfeo